Total Pageviews

Thursday 6 December 2012

I have my doubts about this ring

I found a nice mans gold ring today marked .375,but noticed it was cracked,whem I pulled it it broke as per the photo.To me gold that is even 9kt should be more durable than that,maybe someone else has struck this?.


  All the other items were found in and around Aucklands North shore beaches,it sure was hard work as the beaches have been well and truely detected over the years,but every now and again I would strike an area that produced,another half a tank of diesel in gold coins ($41),two silver rings a few foreign coins and of coarse lead sinkers,a few older pennies in an old park,what I liked, and is one of my better finds is the old St Johns Ambulance medal, it has a number and name on the reverse a little hard to read,as it still needs cleaning 

4 comments:

  1. Maybe the ring had been impacted and the second break was just ready to go. I think the hours you are now able to put in with the ET is paying off for you Jim. Well done on those shore beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good going on the finds especially in a hunted out area!

    Yes I had a 9ct ring break on me like that. It was fairly old and found on a beach. 9ct is 2/3rds copper/silver mix so the other metals corrode weakening the whole ring. Glued mine back together with superglue for display purposes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yap, same for me- have a number of Rings cracked and holding only on the "green" stuff from copper oxid,

    congrats on finds :-) What beach did you find the ring at?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help,you will never believe this but I found another nice girls signet ring this afternoon,and while cleaning it ,it also broke (bugga) darn shame it is a nice ring.Must be something in this Auckland water haha.Max I found one at Army bay and the other at Big Manley,Had to do a lot of digging to get them got the biggest collection of teartabs now.Chris it was good to catch up the other day thanks for your time and answers to my querys...

    ReplyDelete