Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 May 2012

Wow this is old for NZ

I went back to a park that I new had seen a bit of action during the colonial days,the military were camped here at one stage,I kept finding enough old pennys to keep me interested and I was getting a lot of falsing on some deep old iron,in amongst this iron I got a real high 12-47 and thought this is either a big lump of alloy, or just maybe a silver coin well 8" down out pops this halfcrown,turns out to be a George 1V,as none of the embossing is readable I tried a Google search and if I am not mistaken the year of manufacture was 1824.The old musket shot came from within 1 metre of the halfcrown and at around the same depth (if only they could talk what a tale they could tell)




 The pennys are all much newer ranging from 1908-1962,and of course the modern coins and jewellery were closer to the surface,also found another token the writing also is very hard to read, it needs a long term soak.

4 comments:

  1. Choice finds Jim.
    What an excellent spot you have found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jim, I'd be thrilled with that old 1/2 crown. It probably came out here in the pocket of one of the first settlers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. more nice old stuff... your half crown looks even more worn than my one from last week.. pity the dates have been worn off.

    ReplyDelete