Total Pageviews

Monday 18 March 2013

Gold, but don't do this..........bugga

Still at Whitianga,and this time I spent the last two days at Buffalo Beach, A little bit of time spent on the lower tide line was fruitless,but moving up the beach 2 metres below the high water mark I found the G spot,an area around 2 metres wide stretching down the beach about 200 metres,I found all the bits pictured,and they are a big variety,ranging from modern $ through to the 1872 threepence with the hole in it,the old fob watch looked promising but fell to bits when I tried to free it up.





 The mans large gold ring once again shows how brittle they become after years in the salt,would you believe I had just finnished washing it,when it slipped out of my hand and landed on the lino promptly disintrigating into 4 pieces,I couldnt believe it,this is the 3rd time a ring has broken on me will cleaning it,I talked to a jeweller about it and he explained that the combination of metals break down over time due to a reaction from the salt and elements,generally on the lower rated carat rings etc.A bit of super glue patched it up to keep all the bits intact,also found a few very early bullets and lots of old copper sheathing along with old copper nails I can only guess they are from the old sailing ship HMS Buffalo that blew aground here many years ago,I went back yesterday afternoon and the beach had already started to change with the sand building up again.But I still picked up a few more coins plus two more silver rings......

6 comments:

  1. Cool finds. Nice write up. Good info on the old ring breaking up. If I ever uncover one I'll be extra careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great raid! That men's ring must be 9ct? I too have a couple superglued together. They can be very fragile.

    HMS Buffalo is located directly out from the hospital (old persons home now) where the whale pot is. It briefly exposed itself when the tide went out during a tsunami in the early '70s (just a couple of ribs showed). Have always wanted to find a bit, but have never be able to match to theold ship wreck pieces I've beach combed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice blog. Just read the rest, interesting stuff. Have linked your blog to mine. Hope that is okay. If not let me know, cheers, see you out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sweat Glen,It is always good to read and learn from other blogs etc,I had a read of yours last night and was real suprised to learn about gold mining in South Auckland (Whitford/Clevedon),And I thought I knew a bit about the history of mining in NZ.THanks for the info Grant.Yip I remember that Tsunami well it was in 1960 and I was out fishing with my dad at the time,we were in a little clinker dinghy with a seagull outboard,and this large launch pulled up beside us and said we had better get going as they heard on the radio about a tidal wave on its way from earthquakes in Chile,I was0 years old and will never forget it,but as with most Tsunami's it was just a big rise and fall of the tide,but one I will never forget

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY Very nice haul! i see you doing more and more beaches... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete